Online Course Discussion Forum

I-C #8.29 #4.13 and #4.30

Picture of Christine Wang
I-C #8.29 #4.13 and #4.30
by Christine Wang - Thursday, February 17, 2022, 5:34 PM

I don't really understand these questions, like how to graph them.

Picture of John Lensmire
Re: I-C #8.29 #4.13 and #4.30
by John Lensmire - Friday, February 18, 2022, 10:37 AM

Let's start with 8.29. We have a cube ABCD-EFGH. The important part of this labeling is that ABCD is one face (the bottom face below) while EFGH is the other face, with E "above" A, F "above B, etc.

This gives tetrahedron ACFH as in the picture below:

The key for then finding the volume is noting that we can create this tetrahedron by removing 4 triangular pyramids from the outside. For example, ABC-F from the front.

Hope this helps visualize a little bit! Note you can click either image above for a larger picture.

For the others, is chapter 4 correct? Chapter 4 Q13 and Chapter 4 Q30? I'm happy to give some additional tips for those, just wanted to confirm the questions.

Picture of Christine Wang
by Christine Wang - Friday, February 18, 2022, 11:40 AM

Thank you so much! For the other questions, you got them. Sorry I forgot to add this question in the first comment, but can you also explain 1.17? Thank you.

Picture of John Lensmire
by John Lensmire - Friday, February 18, 2022, 12:59 PM

For 1.17, remember the midpoint is just the average of the x-coordinates and the average of the y-coordinates.

For 4.13, note that the values of the trig. functions only depend on the ratios between the sides. So based on the information (remember tangent is opposite / adjacent) we get assume that we have the following triangle:

For 4.30, the following (slightly messy) drawing hopefully helps:

What can you say about tan(55) and tan(75) in terms of x and y?