Online Course Discussion Forum

Combinatorial Proof

Picture of Hai Melina
Combinatorial Proof
by Hai Melina - Tuesday, January 24, 2023, 11:33 PM

I am confused about 6.22 and 6.23 because we did not discuss 6.3, a similar problem, in class. I looked at the answer key to in-class problems but I am still kind of confused.

I am also just kind of confused about some of the questions in general because for the Hockey Stick Identity and Binomial theorem, they are all addition, but for questions like 6.17 and 6.30 it is some subtraction and some addition. I am confused about the pattern of the + and the - and how to use one or any of the formulas.

Picture of John Lensmire
Re: Combinatorial Proof
by John Lensmire - Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 12:27 PM

Let me start with an example from geometry to help with the idea of a combinatorial proof. Suppose we want to find the area of a 3-4-5 triangle.

1. One student calculates the area as $\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot 3\cdot 4$.
  2. A second calculates the area as $\sqrt{6(6-3)(6-4)(6-5)}$.

Without any calculations, if we recognize that the first student is using $\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot b\cdot h$ and the second student is using Heron's formula, we can say that both students got the correct answer (and they are the same) WITHOUT actually simplifying both equations.

The idea of a combinatorial proof is that if we answer the SAME question in different ways (correctly of course!) we must get the same answer either way.

For example, in 6.3, this question to be answered in multiple ways is "If you have n people and want to choose a committee of k people, with one person as the president on the committee, how many ways can it be done?" One method leads to an answer of $\displaystyle \binom{n}{k}\cdot k$ and an alternate method gives $\displaystyle n\cdot \binom{n-1}{k-1}$. Since both methods are correct, the two answers must be equal!

As a hint for 6.17 (and 6.30), often subtractions are a hint that negative numbers show up in the binomial theorem. For example, for 6.17, try to write out what the binomial theorem says for expanding $(1 + (-1))^10$ (that is $a = 1$ and $b=-1$ in the Binomial Theorem as written in the textbook).

Hope this helps!