Online Course Discussion Forum

MCIII Geo 2.23

Picture of Tina Jin
MCIII Geo 2.23
by Tina Jin - Tuesday, January 30, 2024, 11:24 AM

Hi,

I don't really know how to get the point of a triangle that is the smallest sum to the vertices. I think that is how to solve this question, but I'm still a little stuck.

Can you tell me what the point is in a triangle that is the smallest sum of the segment of that point to the sides and how to get the numerical value of the sum of those segments?

Thanks,

Tina Jin

Picture of Dr. Kevin Wang
Re: MCIII Geo 2.23
by Dr. Kevin Wang - Tuesday, January 30, 2024, 4:17 PM

In a triangle $ABC$, the point $P$ inside the triangle that minimizes the sum $PA+PB+PC$ is called the Fermat point.  In case there is an angle in the triangle with measure $\geq 120^\circ$, say $\angle A \geq 120^\circ$, then the Fermat point is that vertex $A$.  If every angle is less than $120^\circ$, then the Fermat point is the point in the interior of the triangle such that the three segments $PA$, $PB$, and $PC$ form $120^\circ$ angles with each other. (This is a definition, and there's a lot of ways to find that point).

In this question, we look for the Fermat point of $\triangle ABD$, and calculate the sum of the lengths based on the side length of the square, and solve the equation of the side length.  The method of rotation can be used: rotate the triangle $AED$ around $A$ by $60^\circ$ to the outside of the triangle. (Note that it is $60^\circ$, not $90^\circ$).