Online Course Discussion Forum

Physics Fundamentals Mechanics Week 4 Homework Help

Picture of Jerry Tan
Physics Fundamentals Mechanics Week 4 Homework Help
by Jerry Tan - Monday, July 2, 2018, 6:02 PM

I don't understand how to do any of the practice problems of Physics Fundamentals Mechanics Week 4 Homework, except numbers 5,6, and 9, which were pretty straightforward. I don't think we learned how to do any problems involving inclines and frictions, nor did we go over any formulas, unless I'm forgetting them.

For example, how would you do #1?: A skier traveling at 34 m/s encounters a 13.4 degree slope. If you could ignore friction, to the nearest meter, how far up the hill does he go?                                      

Did we learn formulas for this?

#3: You have a mass of 66 kg and are on a 52-degree slope hanging on to a cord with a breaking strength of 163 newtons. What must be the coefficient of static friction to 2 decimal places between you and the surface for you to be saved from the fire?

In this problem, is there a normal force acting on the person? If so, how would it be calculated?

Can someone help? Thanks!

Picture of Areteem Instructor
Re: Physics Fundamentals Mechanics Week 4 Homework Help
by Areteem Instructor - Tuesday, July 3, 2018, 10:01 AM

Hi Jerry!

You'd use equations from Newton's 2nd Law to solve these. 

For #1, review the parts of the lesson regarding Newton's second law and third law, as well as the sections regarding inclines.

For #3, there is indeed a normal force acting on the person. To calculate it, use two sums of forces equations. Remember that the frictional force = coefficient of static friction * normal force.