Online Course Discussion Forum

Math Challenge I-C Homework

Picture of Keith Xin
Math Challenge I-C Homework
by Keith Xin - Friday, June 7, 2019, 9:22 AM

Hello,

So for question 1.30, it says, "Larry went shopping over Memorial Day Weekend and, before any discounts, had a total bill of $500. Some of his items were electronics, which were 40% off for the weekend. The rest of the items were 20% off for the weekend. If Larry saved $150 in total, what was the original price (before discounts) of all the electronics he purchased?" and I wasn't sure how I could solve it. For the previous word problem I set up an equation, but I wasn't sure how I could do that here. Could you help me set an equation up?

-Keith Xin

Picture of Keith Xin
Re: Math Challenge I-C Homework
by Keith Xin - Saturday, June 8, 2019, 12:39 PM

Sorry, the last question didn't copy correctly... Whenever I try it doesn't work... Even if I write it out that still happens. You can look at the original question is the book. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Picture of John Lensmire
Re: Math Challenge I-C Homework
by John Lensmire - Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 9:24 PM

Hi Keith,

Sorry I didn't get to this before your homework was due. The idea is to set up use a variable to represent how much of his purchase was electronics and then use that variable to represent the amount that was not electronics as well.

We'll be sure to talk about this problem during the Live Homework Discussion as well!

FYI, the issue is that the dollar sign is used to write math equations (for example if I write 2\times 3 inside dollar signs i get:  $2\times 3$.) So they sometimes cause problems in the forum. You can use \ and then a dollar sign (which is what I used here: \$) to display an actual dollar sign.

Best,

John