Online Course Discussion Forum

Question from Week 8 Quiz and Today's Class (Algebra Readiness)

Picture of Celena Meng
Question from Week 8 Quiz and Today's Class (Algebra Readiness)
by Celena Meng - Monday, November 11, 2019, 6:12 PM

Hello,

On Week 8's Quiz, there is a problem I would like to ask.

The Problem says: "A group of 4 friends travel 500 miles together. How many passenger-miles is that?" (Question 17) When I put my answer, which is 2000, I got it correct. But, in today's class, my teacher went over the question and had the answer 125. I am a bit confused because when I put 125 in the quiz, the quiz counted it as wrong. Now, I don't know which is the correct answer. Please tell me ASAP if there was a glitch, or I did something wrong, or something other than that. 

Picture of Areteem Professor
Re: Question from Week 8 Quiz and Today's Class (Algebra Readiness)
by Areteem Professor - Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 3:55 PM

A passenger-mile is an example of a rate that can be found by multiplying. Passenger-miles tell you the total number of miles traveled by all the passengers as if only one person traveled those miles.

For example, if you have $1$ person traveling $6$ miles, that would be $1 \times 6 = 6$ passenger-miles, and if you have $3$ persons traveling $2$ miles each, that would be $3 \times 2 = 6$ passenger-miles as well. 

In the problem you are solving $4$ friends traveled $500$ miles, so that would be $4 \times 500 = 2000$ passenger-miles. 

Picture of Celena Meng
Re: Question from Week 8 Quiz and Today's Class (Algebra Readiness)
by Celena Meng - Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 4:44 PM

Thank you.